Daniel Taylor, Carpenter & Owner
980.447.4521
JesusWasACarpenter123@Gmail.com
facebook.com/jwac123
Mooresville, NC

Unique | Timeless | Durable

Click here to edit subtitle

JWAC Blog

New JWAC Workshop Build: Part 3- Wall Cladding

Posted on February 13, 2018 at 11:40 AM

Aside from wanting an industrial aesthetic to the top rafter-area of the shop, another reason for the flat black paint application was to serve as a neutral color for any gapping that may later show through in-between the reclaimed boards that would serve as wall-cladding. With the paint work finally complete, it was time to move forward with the cladding. The material sourced for the cladding was an unexpected blessing. A friend recently had to correct some foundational issues on his home, and thus, needed to gut out his flooring to expose the foundation. The flooring so happened to be very old, beautiful, hardwood. I couldn't have found or purchased a better clad if I had to, I don't think. The irregularities in the sizings of this rough-hewn lumber, plus the overal patina/character, are one-of-a-kind. He gave the material to us, free of charge. It was an un-believable blessing. Pieces were brought inside one-by-one and de-nailed using primitive methods. Ends were then straight-cut using a miter saw. Finally, the boards were indexed and stored by width. From that point, I then began the work of adding the boards to the walls. 


With the first wall done, it was time to insall a lumber rack and store the rest of the harvested lumber.




At this point in the project, I realized we were going to be a bit short on material to clad the full shop. I calculated that we had JUST enough to finish the walls, but not enought to clad the frames of the three shop doors. Thus, I broke down some pallets I've had for about a year, which I found at a dump a while back. I'd never seen any like these before, and was saving them for a special project. They had an unusually thick board width, and their patina was gorgeous, lots of blues and other unsual hues. I had about 12 of those pallets. I broke them down with a special tool a friend leant to me. He's a metal-smith by trade, and the tool worked very, very well. The boards broke down nicely, and I then had enough material from those pallets to clad the interior frame off all three doors. I also had about 30 small 1.5'x2.5" boards that were structural to the pallets, but also exceptionally beautiful. Those were de-nailed as well, cut, and indexed. Later, you will see this lumber stock used to create a bevy of shop shelving, brackets, and other small odds and ends. Again, all free, minus a bit of elbow grease. The Lord really provided! While I know this is a bit obsessive, I like the fact that the material of the doors and the walls is slighly different. This breaks up the shops interior a good bit, and helps it be possible to actually see the doors :) 

Once all was said and done, my rough calculations turned out to be true. There was not a single scrap of lumber left. All that the Lord had provided us had given us, literally down to the inch, just enough to clad the shop. It was almost comical. Pictured below is all of the left over remnants, as well as a collection of rusty nails that were extracted throughout. 



The build continues with the Part 4 post! Click here to view..

Categories: None

Post a Comment

Oops!

Oops, you forgot something.

Oops!

The words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again.

0 Comments